Using your phone while driving is not just a hassle, it can pose a risk on your life and others. That’s why lots of people use car-mounts and wireless headsets to keep their focus on the road. These kits are also quite helpful if you rely on Google Maps while navigating to your destination.
But what if you’re trying to play some music while having Google Maps or Waze active on your phone? It can be quite tricky to get from one app to another to change the music, per say, and still have your eyes on the road.
But you don’t have to worry anymore. Here’s how you can control the music while still having your navigation app on-screen:
Media Playback Controls in Google Maps
Google is always got your back with new smart updates to fit all kinds of users. Their main navigation app, Google Maps, now supports both Spotify and Google Play Music to be enrolled through its interface as the default music player. Once the music app and Google Maps are connected, you’ll begin to see music control buttons displayed on your navigation screen.
To enable this feature, you’ll need to:
- Go to Google Maps and press the menu button on the top-left corner; or you can simply just swipe right.
- Locate Settings and click on that as well.
- You’ll find Navigation Settings from the prompted menu. Press that.
- Scroll down to toggle the “Show media playback controls” option.
- You’ll then be presented with a list of supported music apps on your phone. Choose what you desire and press Next.
- Tap Ok, and then you may go back to the homepage of Google Maps.
Now that you’ve activated the buttons to control music in Google Maps, let’s see how you can use them.
How to Use Music Controls in Google Maps while Driving
It’s really easy to now control music on your navigation app. Just simply follow the next steps to be familiar with how things go:
- Access Google Maps.
- Enter your desired destination and start navigating.
- On the left edge, you’ll start seeing the control buttons for music. There are Play, Previous and Next to easily control what’s being played.
- If you’d like to see more options, you can swipe up the panel.
- There’s also an option for locating more music from your player, like playlists and other songs. Simply tap Browse for that.
You should be able to control music now while navigating. We’ve chosen one supported player to pair with Google Maps. But what happens if you want to use a different player?
Change the Default Music Player in Google Maps
When the Media Playback Controls are enabled, you set the default music app player as we’ve shown you. Usually, you have more than a couple of supported music apps on your own. If you’d like to change the one you’re currently using in unison with Google Maps, follow the next steps:
- Go to Settings in Google Maps, and then locate Navigation Settings.
- Once you tap Default Media App, you’ll find the supported music players available on your phone.
- Choose which one you’d like to change to, and approve.
Everything is now set up for you to control music in Google Maps the way you like. It’s an amazing option set by the company to let users feel more comfortable while being on the road. Let’s take a look on how you can apply the same process if you’re a Waze user.
Media Playback Controls in Waze
Although Waze is also owned by the same company, it’s far more advanced than Google Maps. It features a really cool and interactive interface filled with lively and colorful elements. Some users prefer to use Waze because it has larger fonts and offers much more customization options. If you’re one of those people, you’re still in luck: you can apply the same process on Waze to integrate your chosen music player within the app. Let’s see how you may go about doing that:
How to Integrate Music Controls in Waze Navigation App
The difference between Google Maps and Waze when it comes to media playback controls is that you can have the buttons on both the navigation window and homepage. Waze also supports a wider list of music players, which is good if you’re picky with your music apps:
- Once Waze is downloaded and installed, launch it.
- Swipe right to unleash the menu.
- You’ll find a gear icon that leads to Settings. You may go ahead and click on that.
- Tap on Driving Preferences and access Audio Player.
- Enable Show Audio Player, as well as Next Song Notification.
- You’ll find a list of the supported music apps. Choose whichever you’d like to be paired, but make sure it’s installed first.
Currently, Waze supports the following music players: Spotify, NPR One, iHeart Radio, Pandora, Stitcher, Scribed, TuneIn
How to Use Music Controls in Waze while Driving
Once you’ve activated the previous settings we’ve explained, you can start controlling music in the homepage of the app without actually leaving it. It’s super easy, but let’s explain how you can use the buttons:
- Access Waze and go to the homepage.
- You’ll find a floating Music icon, tap on that.
- You can then choose an audio app from the list.
- Once it’s connected, you can choose to play a song, radio or even a podcast.
- If you’d like to change the music player you’re using, simply tap on the Audio Apps Button. You can find it at the top of the homepage.
Integrating the music controls into your navigation app has never been easier. You can now control your music while navigating the road without losing your focus. Google has made it smoother for users to comfortable interact with music players while driving.
Whether it’s Waze or Google Maps, you’re set to go. Let us know in the comments below which navigation app you prefer and why. We’d love to hear from you!